Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hello Fidato! :)

Fidato.  That's a word I came across in the Hindi movie Jhootha Hi Sahi.  'Fidato' is an Italian word that means "trustworthy, reliable, trusted". 

After watching the movie, I wondered who would be Fidato in my life.  I could think of a few people in different contexts and faces of life, but not one person who was "it".  With everyone, there was always that thing I refer to as a "BUT-factor".  As in, "this person is wonderful, BUT… …" or "that person is awesome, BUT… …"  After all, they are all human, like me.  And it's impossible (fine… almost impossible) for us to not automatically have expectations from others, just as they may have from us.  I have also realized something over and over again - expectations lead to disappointment; disappointment leads to (or could lead to) lack of trust. Nah!

My Fidato would be someone/something whose presence in my life is unquestionable, who's always got my back, and who I could trust blindly - so much so that I'm aware of that trust even when I'm not feeling like a believer.  It's that light at the end of the tunnel - to know that it's there even if it doesn't seem that way in the moment.  It's that voice inside me that I was always aware of, but never really paid much attention to. 

Many people call that "person" or "thing" God.  I too have used that term (albeit reluctantly) for lack of a better word.  The word "God" never really worked for me because that word instantly brings up a "visual form" of some sort.  Or it brings about a feeling of fear.. as in "fear of God".  All of these, in my opinion, limit God.  I don't believe in a God I have to be afraid of, who'll "punish" me if I don't follow a certain set of "rules"!!  That goes against what God is said/believed to be.  Or at least what I have always believed God is supposed to be for me.. a guide, a friend.

Today, I realized who/what God is to me.  It is that voice inside me that guides me when I'm lost, who I trust and listen to now.  That to me is the voice of God... of Fidato!

Stealing from Eat, Pray, Love

"Hello Fidato!  Nice to finally meet you."

:)

~~

4 comments:

  1. You are so right - I think no one person can be everything we need because, as you say, they are human.

    I, too, have a tough time using the word "God" because of all the inherent connotations (some of which are fine, some of which don't sit too well with me!). What a great idea, to rename that unnameable thing, that still, small voice inside you Fidato!!!

    PS: I LOVED Eat, Pray, Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS was the exact train of thought I had after watching the movie..!! SO True! (y)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. i was called as fidato from my now girlfriend. When i met har 7 years ago. When she was just my mutual friend we had met a couple of time. And i think she had realized my innocence. As we became good friends we started calling each other and as we started understanding each others feelings. Told me how depressed she was after she lost her dad. And i was like her support and part of relief when she use to call me. Every day and night when the day she called me fidato. I said what?whats the meaning of it. And she said search on Google. And as went for it. I saw the meaning of the word not in google but by this movie jhootha hi sahi. And i m glad to say i understood and never gave up on our relationship. Thank you for making such a good movie.

    ReplyDelete